D800 CF vs (and plus) SD Continuous High Speed

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mattspace
mattspace Contributing Member • Posts: 509
D800 CF vs (and plus) SD Continuous High Speed

Hi Folks,

Something I noticed today - for most of my ownership of this camera, I've shot to the CF slot, with the SD as overflow. Then on a trip overseas I got into the habit of shooting to both cards, for safety sake.

Today I was shooting high speed for the first time since changing to this, and I'm noticing that the buffer gets full and stops shooting really quickly. With the CF only, I can more or less shoot on cH with 5-7 or so shots with just a release and immediate repress of the shutter, maybe a second gap between presses, and just keep doing that ad-infinitum.

With the SD card as well, after that initial burst, the camera will refuse to shoot or just do single frames for a few seconds before it'll allow another multiple frame burst.

Pic of the two cards: the CF was bought in 2013 with the camera, the SD from a department store in Japan (caught out while travelling).

From everything I can see, I think the SD card should be faster / higher throughput than the CF card, so perhaps the holdup is the fact the camera's writing to both, but I'd appreciate anyone with a confirmation / clarification.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --
 mattspace's gear list:mattspace's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow