Gigapixel AI - I like it

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,133
Gigapixel AI - I like it

I do a handful of architectural photography gigs on the side for a few clients, and decided to give Gigapixel AI a try. I shoot with a 5D4, which none of my clients will ever complain about the quality from. But, I like to deliver the best image quality I can. Long story short, I'd say it works well!

It's not magic, and to me the claims of quadrupling your image size with amazing detail are far fetched, but it does do a good job of getting approximately double the pixels for a quality shot with no nasty artifacts. Now I can deliver final images between 50-60MP with per-pixel sharpness equal or maybe even a bit better than the original file. After trying the various settings, I've settled on the following workflow:

1. Final processing on originals in Photoshop as 16 bit TIFF files.
  2. Run final TIFF image through Gigapixel AI with 2x enlargement, No Face Refinement, Man-made image type, Remove Noise = 0-20 range, Remove Blur = 0. Save as 16bit TIFF.
  3. Open the saved TIFF in Photoshop, resample image from 300 to 200ppi with Bicubic Sharper.
  4. Unsharp mask to taste. Somewhere around 0.6 radius and 110% work nicely.
  5. Done.

I've found this gets me an image somewhere in the 50-60MP range depending on how I crop the original. They look great even when pixel peeping, and some test prints I've done on my Pixma Pro 100 for what would be 4 feet wide on the long end kinda made my jaw drop. I can't see anybody complaining about these images printed any size.

An example and a cropped portion. Overall, $100 well spent in my opinion. I'll be using it for all my paid work moving forward.

A couple of example crops (Check the 100% zoom in the gallery):

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +12 more
Canon Pixma Pro-100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow