Do you bid early on eBay? If so, why?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cptrios Senior Member • Posts: 1,429
Do you bid early on eBay? If so, why?

In the last couple of months, I've been snooping around on eBay for photo gear - an activity I hadn't done since around 2012. While there are plenty of auctions that show no movement at all or none until the very end, I've been surprised to see how many of them get bid up right from the beginning. This goes against my instincts, since way back in the early days of eBay (when I'd have to mail a money order to pay for something) it quickly became obvious that there was no point in participating in an auction until the last couple of minutes, if not 30 seconds or so.

So I'm wondering: how many of you bid before those last few minutes? And why? Do you set a maximum for yourself, put it in, and leave it, knowing you'd never go higher anyway? Do you know you won't have access to a computer/phone at the end of the auction? Do you feel a certain camaraderie with the seller and want to push the price up so they get more money? Conversely, a certain resentment of other bidders that makes you want to inflict financial damage upon them?

I don't mean this to sound adversarial at all. I actually don't think an unspoken "no bidding until the last 30 seconds" rule would even lower prices that much, since bidders would still likely put in maximum bids at close-to-realistic prices. So I'm just genuinely curious!

cptrios's gear list:cptrios's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-7 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
MOD Biggs23
tex
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow