What is pushing M5 owners

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dwfrommonterey Regular Member • Posts: 338
What is pushing M5 owners

In another thread, getting long, the discussion arose.

Bolo wrote:

You don't need to replicate your system on R. It only makes sense to switch if you need something that M doesn't already have. Your existing body should be perfectly fine for landscapes and portraits...what more lenses/features do you need (serious question)?🤔

Here's my answer.

I bought an M5, while owning a Nikon D7200 (APS-C DSLR), where my primary lens is an 18-300.

I fooled around with a lot of adapted lenses, great fun, and I still do use them on occasion.

And I tried to replace the D7200 with the M5.  I got blocked by the inferior autofocus performance on longer lenses.  I bought an 18-400 Tamron, and it works fine at the short end, and with slow changing, simple scenes at the long end, but that leaves a huge, important space,  well over half of my photography, which I continue to cover with the D7200.

So I still use the M5 with the 11-22, and with the 28 macro lenses.  I don't much use the 18-400.

I don't need or want FF, although I'll probably end up with a low-cost solution for occasional use.

The D7200 is aging well, but it's crappy on videos, and I'm unwilling to invest in it any further (sometimes I wish I'd have bought the Tamron 18-400 for it instead of the Canon one).

So I'm poised.  Canon probably gets another year, but at some time, I'm going to buy a new mirrorless APS-C which has what I need.

dwfrommonterey's gear list:dwfrommonterey's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D7200 Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS RP
Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD RLBur
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow