What Mirrorless Camera Should I get with a $3000 total budget?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
That Tech Guy Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: What Mirrorless Camera Should I get with a $3000 total budget?

Sinantio wrote:

Coming from a Nikon D5600, I have learned that I love to take photos and that the limits of the D5600 were really annoying me to the point of searching for an upgrade this holiday season. With a $3000 budget for both the camera and lenses, I am looking for a camera that does these things in order of importance:

1. Has Good Low Light performance (I'm mostly taking pictures in cityscapes and indoors)

2. Has a good Viewfinder (I'm kinda apprehensive about viewfinders on mirrorless cameras since I have never used one before)

3. a good autofocus system (the d5600 is very annoying to me with its limited autofocus)

4. Has a good control system that allows me to change my ISO and shutter speed with on-camera buttons and dials (I would also like to be able to adjust aperture, but I'm used to not being able to adjust with physical buttons anyway)

These are probably most important to me, with photography being more important to me than video (though I could be surprised moving from the d5600)

For a bit more info about me:

I have smaller hands, I only use the Viewfinder for pictures, and I have only used zoom lenses for photography (I want to see what the difference between primes and zoom lenses before I make the jump to a full prime setup)

The main cameras I'm considering are the Sony a7 3, a7 c, a7r 2, a7r 3, and the Fujifilm X-S10 (i have never used full-frame but I really want to have a full-frame camera). I'm open to anything, but the Sonys have been the most appealing in my research.
Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

There are alot of great suggestions but since we are in this E mount forum, I will address some issues and hopefully this will help.

1. Technique is what makes any photo look good, indoors or outdoors. Dark? you can get an aperture light that is variable and mounts via shoe mount.
  2. Fast glass is what will improve autofocus. Why? 4/f vs 2.8/f makes a world of difference. My old school classic 5D with max of ISO 1600 could take fantastic images with low iso, 50mm f.18 lens at ISO 400. Shoot I even used it for long exposures.
  3. Low light performance - Regardless of your camera, if your shooting nightscapes or city landscapes, again, fast glass. F2.8 or less. City also depends on your composition. Lighting, car trails with long exposure, etc. If you in a bright open busy outdoor place like Disney, or Las Vegas light can be less of an issue.
  4. Camera - A7II, A7Rii, A7iii, blah blah blah. Yes the next generation is better than the next but if your technique is good you can take that D5600 and rock the show.
  5. Ok, so why FF vs APS-C? Better low light? Depends. A Canon RP cannot hang with a Canon 6D (which is a low light monster) and the RP is years newer and mirrorless. Better image quality? Depends on lighting, glass quality and technique. My Fuji X-t3 can hang with a good portion of Full Frame cameras on low light performance.
  6. So the real question and the hardest. Why spend $3k+ for a camera and a lens? A person recommended the ecosystem and to start with the lenses. AGREED! Regardless of which system you go with, you will get a great camera these days. Your glass will impact the following:
    1. AF Focus in low light.
    2. Impact noise since you will have to either bump up ISO or take longer exposures.
    3. Sharpness (as long as your technique is good.)
    4. A lense is just like reading glasses. No matter how good your eyes is (the camera) if your reading glasses suck then you will not see your subject well.
  7. Consumerism! Every youtuber, brand ambassador, fan boy, influencer, review or whatever will give you tons of pros and cons. They always try to push you one way of the other. Then you have reviews like DP. When they mention something they wish would change, that impacts our decisions.

In conclusions, over analysis paralysis will hit you hard but it also hits everyone now adays. We have so many great cameras and lenses. Its the marketing along with youtubers, blogs, etc to give you a ton of information. Thats why your here right? To get real experience from real people? However there is only one thing that matters, getting out and taking pictures. If you frustrated by the limitations, don't blame the camera. Look at why? Are you on full auto? Crappy lens? Sensor clean?

Learn lighting, composition, the exposure triangle, get off of auto and see where the limitations are first so you can actually spend your money of what will really benefit you.

Just a note, APS-C Cameras can do well in low light also and the lenses are way cheaper.

If you wanna go Sony, the A6000 is great camera. Cheap and you can spend money on a lense.

You want a really FUN camera, Check out a Fuji X-T3.  DP has a review.  Good low light, great image quality, light and APS-C.  Much cheaper and great lenses.  They have a 18-55 2.8-4 or you can go buck wild and get even faster and will be under your $3000 with a set of lenses.

Just my .2.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow