Workspace (workflow/raw converter for Olympus) equivalent for Panasonic??

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 35,496
Re: Workspace (workflow/raw converter for Olympus) equivalent for Panasonic??

LearningForeverIHope wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

LearningForeverIHope wrote:

Digital Dick wrote:

I'm no expert but I think a 16 bit Tiff contains all the data that is in the 16 bit raw file. Workspace doesn't appear to pull as much out of the shadows as LR. I should try opening a raw in Workspace and without processing it just save it out as a Tiff and then open the Tiff in LR to look for any differences with just opening the raw directly in LR.

Dick

I do not see how it will be possible to save a Raw in that workspace since it applies all the settings, with the exception of filters, that you made in camera.

But there is a heck of a lot more data in a 16 bit tiff compared to a jpeg,

True, true enough. Actually a raw file in MFT is only 12 bits deep. I wonder how and if that data is spread over the 16 bits of the TIFF or something else.

Yes, as the raw file is converted with it has a 16 bit playground to expand into from its 12 bit straightjacket. Way better than the 12 bit going to 8 bit within the camera, nothing can recover from that.

so that will allow more to be extracted with further post process edits before committing to a final jpeg.

All I meant is that the settings we choose in camera are applied by Workspace. That way the TIFF that we get is different from the raw file that we sent. Still plenty of data but not the same data.

Yes, the linear content of the four raw tiff channels are always converted via a transitional brightness curve that tries to make the linear data to maybe a sort of log data that our eyes see normally.

As for seeing what's actually in a raw file, I remember in old days looking at some raw files from some (unremembered) Nikon camera and they could be seen directly with no conversion happening (they were some tiff variation) but the result was a green flavoured drab dull image, due to the summation of two green channels plus red and blue and no transitional curves being applied. The linear raw data does look rather bad and the conversion curve applied brings it back to more like what we see.

Just now re-looked at RawDigger and I can show the linear view of the raw data opposed to a simple basic curve applied, here's what linear raw data looks like coming from all channels combined...... (not greenish this time?)

And here's RawDigger's very basic conversion......

No lens corrections of course

And here's what happens when DxO gets loose, plus a little tinkering by me with FastStone Viewer to make it look a little better at its new reduced size....

Old unused rail station at Grenfell NSW Australia

The final is more like what I saw at the time of taking, thanks to DxO taking the linear data and applying a sensible curve to it.

So the choice is a conversion from 12 bit linear raw to a viewable 8 bit jpeg or conversion to a viewable 16 bit tiff that can be further worked to eventually make what is hopefully a better looking 8 bit jpeg.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow