* The Weekly Image Thread 20 10 19 #487 *

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
Olyinaz Veteran Member • Posts: 8,175
Re: Suggestions?

Direct sun is not always a good thing - bright cloudy days and flowers often works better for even lighting.  Look for a flower that has some isolation from background items vs. a perfect blossom that is jammed up against background blossoms.  A flower that is set against a dark background like dirt or shadowed greenery is often a boon.  Depth of field for the blossom and background isolation are often at odds - have to consider your options regarding that.  Some lenses will create a busy or distracting bokeh in the background, and sometimes this is a problem stopped down but not wide open etc. - have a good handle on the habits of the lens in use.  RGB gamuts can struggle with highly saturated reds or rich blues, often obliterating detail or blowing out unnaturaly.  Adobe color space can help a bit with more headroom, but I try always convert to sRGB for online display versions so that I know people looking at the image are more likely to see what I intended  This can cause interesting changes that sometimes you have to compensate for.  RAW doesn't care - this is a conversion issue - but even the RAW data can blow out reds despite the rest of the image being reasonably well exposed, so be aware.

Not sure if this is what you meant by asking for suggestions?  These are all probably things you know and I don't mean to be insulting in any way!  Hope it was helpful.

Oly

Olyinaz's gear list:Olyinaz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Canon EOS 77D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow