Light trails - where to focus?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Merlin5 Regular Member • Posts: 486
Light trails - where to focus?

Hi guys. I'm thinking of going out tonight or tomorrow night and attempting long exposure car light trails on a motorway. I'll be set up on a tripod on a bridge overlooking the centre of the motorway (I'm british but I mean the freeway ) and photographing both directions of travel so that I can capture red and white light trails.

Where would I set my focus square? And I believe it's best to focus manually. If I'm at f8 or f11 or even f16, should I put the focus box in the distance and turn the focus ring to infinity, or should I place the focus box in the centre of the scene on the road?

I watched a video where the guy showed a photo he took from a bridge of light trails on a motorway plus it had a moody sky. But he didn't say where he'd focused. This is a screenshot from the video of his photo. I've marked numbers in yellow as possible focus places. Which do you suggest he would most likely have focused at?

Merlin5's gear list:Merlin5's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a6600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow