Is this Minolta lens fake?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Marty4650
Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,743
Re: Is this Minolta lens fake?

FrancoD wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

If you had read and digested my previous posts, by now you would know that the buyer by "cheap copy" did not mean a fake made to look like.. but a copy in the same way as people say " my copy isn't as sharp as..." ort whatever.

I'm not so sure if I agree with your interpretation. If the buyer was complaining about the quality of the lens, he probably would have called it a "defective copy" and not a "cheap copy/"

The term "cheap copy" is most often used to describe shoddily made counterfeits.

For example...

• a $20 Rolex is a "cheap copy"
  • a $1,000 Rolex is a "counterfeit, but a good one."
  • a broken watch is a "defective copy"

No offence but when communicating not everyone uses the correct word all of the time. The trick in understanding is to figure out the intended meaning by the context.

In this case, if you look at the photos of that lens it should be pretty obvious that the buyer could not mistake that lens for a "cheap copy" in the sense of cheaply made fake.

I would strongly suggest to people that don't get this not to ever work in a hardware store *.

(home improvement store for those in the US)

With respect,I think you might be overthinking this. The OP asked "is this lens fake" which clearly seems to mean "is it genuine?"

His friend the photographer had told him it was a "cheap copy." He didn't call it a "poor copy" or a "bad copy" or a "defective copy".... he called it a cheap copy. And that also seems to imply it isn't the real thing. It is a cheap imitation.  Like you, I agree that this lens to too common to counterfeit, and a professional photographer should have known that, but lots of people call themselves professionals who really don't know very much about their profession.

I also agree that it should be pretty obvious that this is a genuine lens. This lens currently sells for between $250 and $350 and it would cost a lot more than that to create a counterfeit copy.

Words do matter, and if there was any miscommunication here it was between that photographer and the OP. For whatever reason the photographer called it a "cheap copy" and that led the OP to believe it might be a counterfeit lens since his question becomes "is this a fake?"

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EXX
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow