Getting an Olympus camera , is it worth due to the situation?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
LightCameraAction Contributing Member • Posts: 642
Re: Getting an Olympus camera , is it worth due to the situation?

DeathArrow wrote:

LightCameraAction wrote:

DeathArrow wrote:

LightCameraAction wrote:

amit190 wrote:

Hi
I already own an em10 and looking for an upgrade.
Is it worth getting an em1 ii with the company's sale to JIP ?

That probobly means no camera upgrades in m43 world (Panasonic are not clear about their m43 line).
Maybe it is time to change format?

I have been wondering the same thing. Except in my case, it is between buying a 40-150mm pro or 300mm pro or changing brands. The problem is I like Olympus cameras quite a bit.

I am holding on to my kit and waiting to see how the JIP acquisition turns out. I am sure there will be some kind of roadmap announced after the acquisition is complete to keep consumer confidence.

What roadmap? Olympus cameras are dead. The photographic division fired most of its engineers and JIP is mainly made of accountants which don't have the know how to produce cameras and lenses.

I would expect mostly some cheap chinese compacts rebranded as OM-D, which is the brand JIP bought.

They are being acquired by JIP, not dissolved (not yet anyway). Saying they are dead is false information (though, that could certainly be the eventual outcome).

JIP has made statements that they intend to focus on high end products and expand into other areas (e.g., security cameras). I am waiting to hear what they have to say after the acquisition is complete, and I will be looking for some kind of product roadmap/strategy. I suspect that R&D will slow significantly (it needs to), but that JIP will continue to sell and upgrade camera bodies for some time (at very least, take advantage of existing customers Pentax style)

If the new imaging company does not inspire confidence, I will switch brands. Why make a hasty decision that will cost thousands before gathering all information?

Maybe looking at other businesses acquired by JIP will make it more clear?

I have. And I agree that it is not confident inspiring. However, the Olympus camera division is a different business than other businesses JIP has purchased. For one, the product is a camera system with many (millions?) of users worldwide. Why would they throw that potential away?

If they purchased the assets without a lot of debt, they have a mature camera system with many users. All they need to do at a minimum is manufacturer lenses and they are purchased (this should be profitable), and develop a new camera body every few years (may be profitable if they stick to high end users). Maybe not a great long term outlook, but I bet they could continue for a bit in that type of low R&D mode.

Anyway, it is plausible that JIP will continue in this business. It is also plausible that they will not continue. I am waiting to hear more to make an informed decision on next steps. If they come out with a product roadmap and strategy, I will stick with Olympus (OM-D). If they do not, I will likely move on.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow