Question about an SSD drive and docking station...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 11,045
Re: Question about an SSD drive and docking station...

BigBen08 wrote:

I have an older model USB 3.0 docking station. Could be 8 or 10 years old. It works fine when using a WD mechanical HD. But when I insert a Samsung 860 EVO SSD, the drive is not recognized by the pc. Acts as if the docking station is not connected.

I visited the docking station mfg site and downloaded the latest driver. But it didn't help. So, can any docking station work with a SSD? Or am I missing something?

BTW, I bought this SSD to replace a mechanical HD in my laptop. Samsung has Data Migration s.w. that I believe is installed on the new SSD (not really sure about that, the instructions are very vague). That's why I'm using the SSD and dock.

The Samsung Data Migration program can be downloaded from their site if it's not on the SSD, it's easy to use. I have a second Samsung SSD in my desktop, the same model as as my primary C drive. I routinely use the program to clone the C drive so its bootable in the event of a C drive failure.

Cheers,
Doug

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow