My new favorite shooting setup for OMD

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AlmostDoctor Contributing Member • Posts: 680
My new favorite shooting setup for OMD

I mostly used aperture priority, auto iso, and the auto shutter speed.

When I needed greater control over the shutter speed, I would use manual mode with auto iso. (My non-static subjects are mostly people and pets, and not much action.)

However, when shooting like this, using exposure compensation would result in changes in iso, sometimes leading to unnecessarily high iso for what I need.

My new favorite setup is using the P mode, mapping A/SS control on the rear dial, ISO control on the front dial, and then mapping the exposure compensation on the DOF preview button (button in the front next to the lens).

Now, whenever I shoot a subject, I can set the desired aperture with the rear dial, bump up the iso as needed with the front dial to get the sufficient shutter speed for the scene/subject, and then use exposure compensation to tweak the shutter speed as needed for the optimal exposure.

I feel that this method is making it much easier for me to keep the ISO low compared to relying on auto iso with either A mode or M mode.

It's worth a try if you feel like auto iso often results in higher iso than you wanted to use.

AlmostDoctor's gear list:AlmostDoctor's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow