'Normal' FE zoom lens options.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ukbassman Regular Member • Posts: 177
'Normal' FE zoom lens options.

Hi all, having researched the hell out of zoom lens options in the normal(ish) range, I thought I'd throw the question open here to see if there is anything I've missed out and need to consider before laying down the cash. I mostly shoot landscapes and travel, family and have been asked to shoot the very occasional non-paid function.

So currently to go with my A7Rii I have:

1) Sony 85 f1.8 for portraits.

2) Samyang 35 f2.8 for a very small, almost pocketable walkaround option.

3) Tokina 20mm f2.0 - very sharp lens for landscapes but almost certainly to be replaced by the Tamron 17-28 for more flexibility (unless Sigma suddenly release a 16-35).

Zoom options I have looked at so far are:

1) Tamron 28-75 f2.8. Was really quite keen on this initially as it had some rave reviews and the 2.8 would be great for any functions I do, but have since seen a few tests where it is really quite soft on the edges/corners, even losing out to the 28-200 at typical landscape apertures. Perhaps great for functions where corner/edge sharpness not important, less great for landscapes?

2) Tamron 28-200 f2.8-5.6. Historically not that keen on 'super' zooms, but by most accounts this seems to buck the trend and offer pretty good across the frame sharpness, potentially even better outside the APSC image area than the 28-75? The 2.8 doesn't last long, but hey, f4.5 at 100mm is still not bad!

3) Sigma 24-70 f2.8. A step up size, build quality and price wise. The 24mm would be nice, as would the constant 2.8 but would also need to factor in buying all new filters. Have seen conflicting reports on performance; some say it is the best normal zoom for Sony, others completely trash the corner sharpness, particularly in the mid-range.

4) Sony 24-105. I know this is a really popular lens on here, but I've mostly discounted it based on price (more expensive than all the others in UK) and size versus features i.e. I'd have to rebuy all my filters yet it doesn't offer me the range of the 28-200 (which is similar aperture at 100mm) nor the constant aperture of the the Sigma. Lots of the landscape stuff I do is on the tripod so OSS a bonus, but not critical.

So, is there anything else I should be considering (the 24-70 GM is a no-go based on price)? Is there any reason why I should immediately discount any of the above? Grateful for any thoughts you might have!

ukbassman's gear list:ukbassman's gear list
Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +2 more
Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow