Amazing lens! 5 stars to Canon, 5 stars to Lens Authority!

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nikon33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,216
Amazing lens! 5 stars to Canon, 5 stars to Lens Authority!

*Please note that I am writing this review as a mirrorless camera user, the R5 and the R6. I have not tested the lens on a DSLR camera, nor do I plan to do so.*

I originally purchased this lens just to see if it was any good. I did purchase the lens from Lens Authority, and I do know they test all of their lenses. I have never received a bad lens from them, so hats off to Lens Authority! I will admit I was not very impressed with the test model at Best Buy, but I needed a lens that filled the gap missing before my 600mm prime. Besides, I have not been very happy adapting the Tamron 150-600mm G2 for a variety of reasons. Also, I tend to be a lazy person, and I don't prefer to carry the weight of the 600mm prime with me all the time.

By the end of my first two weeks of ownership, the 100-400mm lens is a lens I go to most of the time now.

Here are some of my observations (adapted to the R5 and R6):

AF Speed: Very good to excellent. It hardly ever missed a beat, easily focusing on birds in flight and on the eyes of animals. Yes, part of the credit is due to the camera body, but the Tamron 150-600mm G2 is much poorer in this regard.

Sharpness: Excellent. I have been extremely satisfied with the image quality I get out of this lens, even on the EOS R5. No issues whatsoever. Here are some shots I took with the lens:

Bull Moose, Grand Tetons National Park

Black Bear, Grand Tetons NP.

Peregrine Falcon

Screech Owl

Great Horned Owl

Bison at Yellowstone

In my eyes, absolutely tack sharp across the whole range, from 100mm to 560mm.

Use with teleconverters: On the mirrorless R5 and R6, performance was excellent when using the TC. I used the 1.4X Mark III Extender with absolutely no worries. I did test out use with the 2x Extender on the R5. AF performance was excellent, and sharpness was excellent, about par or slightly under the 800mm f/11 RF lens when zoomed in to 400x2mm = 800mm.

Here is one example of use with the 1.4x III Extender, at 560mm.

Bison at Yellowstone

Excellent sharpness, I would willingly print this as a large sized print! The eye-AF was perfect.

Zoom ring: I do enjoy the fact that the zoom ring can be tightened and loosened. I preferred to leave it loose when shooting, the zoom was very fluid and easy to rotate from 100-400 without an excessive throw, such as is found on the Nikon 200-500mm. Still not quite as good as the Nikon 200-400mm though (in terms of ease of zoom). The tight setting eliminated zoom creep perfectly when I needed it to function in that manner.

Weight: I would consider this lens very compact and lightweight, even when compared with the Tamron 150-600mm G2, or the 6.7 lb 600mm f/4L IS III lens. Very portable and handholdable. I hiked several times with no issues carrying this lens. Good balance on the R5 and R6 bodies. Very user friendly. Also very durable, with a solid metal construction.

Conclusion: 5 of 5 stars, hands down. This lens exceeded all expectations I had for it, and has found a permanent home in my gear bag. I have no desire to upgrade to the RF 100-500mm lens. At around $1400 used, (the amount I paid for this lens), I would highly recommend this lens.

Nikon33's gear list:Nikon33's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +7 more
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM
Lens • Canon EF • 9524B002
Announced: Nov 11, 2014
Nikon33's score
Average community score
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS R5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow