Tele lens for E-M1. What would you suggest?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
abhisheks77 Regular Member • Posts: 413
Tele lens for E-M1. What would you suggest?

Hi,

I am struggling in deciding my tele lens for E-M1. I would want to hear from other's experiences, what they think and suggest about my situation.

Currently, I have 40-150mm f/2.8. I am not a BIF pro, but when I go out I click pictures. If I take pictures of birds and they are soft or sharp, I would not keep it and that will defeat the purpose.

40-150mm f/2.8 is good and very sharp but it can be used in the zoo, in an open area it feels short. I want to keep only one tele lens. I can add either of MC (1.4x or 2x), but that would reduce sharpness. Acceptable or not, I am not sure.

100-400mm f/5-6.3 - Being non-pro, how is this lens? Earlier I had one 75-300mm and I was experienced enough to get good pictures from it, had AF issues too.

300mm f/4 - As per reviews, this is a super sharp lens. I guess, who uses this focal length, this must be best in this class. But how many of you think that after buying this lens it is much less used, because of its restricted length?

What is my expectation? If I click pictures of birds or animals and they are not sharp, I will not keep them and that will defeat the purpose. One example - I found 75mm prime to be very sharp. I used it hardly 4-5 times in the past few months, but still, the way it pop-up and isolates the subject, no other lens can do it. If the bird is sitting between branches and leaves, I should be able to isolate it.

Thanks

abhisheks77's gear list:abhisheks77's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow