Your thoughts on a laptop deal?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ggeinec Contributing Member • Posts: 742
Your thoughts on a laptop deal?

I would welcome thoughts about this ThinkPad T490 deal:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/barnesnoblegold/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/T490/p/20N2S3GQ00

ThinkPad T490

Part Number: 20N2S3GQ00

Web Price After eCoupon: $805.49

Ships Next Business Day

• Processor
    8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-8365U Processor with vPro™ (1.60 GHz, up to 4.10 GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 6 MB Cache)
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64
  • Display Type
    14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, anti-glare, low power, 400 nits
  • Memory
    16 GB DDR4 2400MHz (Soldered)
  • Hard Drive
    512 GB PCIe SSD
  • Warranty1 Year Depot or Carry-in
  • Graphics
    Integrated Intel® UHD Graphics
  • CameraIR & 720p HD
  • Fingerprint ReaderFingerprint Reader
  • KeyboardBacklit - US English
  • Wireless
    Intel® 9560 802.11AC (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 5.0 with vPro™

This would be for someone who spends most of their time browsing the web (Firefox) with lots of tabs open, working in MS Office, and doing very light photo processing in Picasa. Their current 10, going on 11, year-old desktop is using only 225GB of its 1TB hard drive. They want a laptop this time around.

Based on their usage case shown above I think the 8th generation i5 would be fine, the 512GB PCIe SSD would be fine, the 16GB RAM and the FHD IPS 400-nit non-touch screen would be overkill but come with the deal.

They plan to use the laptop with an external monitor but also want to be able to take it portable. It would be really nice if the laptop is robust and reliable and will last several years.

I have a ThinkPad X230 from 2012 that has been great for me and is still going strong. For this person I'm looking for something similar but a little bigger than the X230 and not as big and heavy as a typical 15.6" laptop. So far this is the closest I've come in the ThinkPad line that checks all our boxes (and more) at this price point, and it is available now.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow