Any suggestions for maintaining detail with darker parts of the photo and toning down brighter part?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 7,819
Re: suggestions for maintaining detail with darker parts of the photo and toning down brighter part?

KENTGA wrote:

I was up in Western North Carolina this past week and shot mostly waterfalls. These are right out of the camera and made with a Canon 5D4. I realize that PP'ing will solve most of this but do you have any suggestions for maintaining the darker detail and toning down the bright whites. I used a polarizer.

Not really asking for critiques of the photos--- but toning down the the blown out while maintaining detail in the darks??? As you know your eyes are drawn to the bright parts of the photo.

Thanks, Kent

Would you tone down this one or not?

I'm convinced that the popularity of softened waterfall shots and such isn't really aesthetics, it's that it's easier to get the tones right by using a dark ND and not having to worry about shutter speed

But seriously, you need to expose to not clip the highlights in the water. Some of that is irredeemable blown out.  It's going to be bright, but you still want some texture in there. You did much better in the last one; it's bright but at least you can see some tendrils of foam. But one can still see detail in the rest of the image too.

This is one area where the dynamic range of the camera makes a difference since to get the water you'll lose some light in the shadows. You might have to bring them up in post, and even do some serious denoising there.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow