Need printer that plays well with Mac

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Twitchly
Twitchly Senior Member • Posts: 1,145
Need printer that plays well with Mac

Warning: Somewhat lengthy rant follows.

I have a Canon TS9020. Words cannot express how much I hate it.

Like most printers I’ve owned, it prints photos well enough for an inkjet. Quality is fine. But I have to fight with it every step of the way because of its truly horrible software. A few examples:

- My previous printer (which was also a Canon, as I recall) turned itself on when I sent something to be printed. Not this one. A relatively small irritant but one that, like sand in the shoe, has grown over time.

- It completely ignores the settings I set for it in Photoshop. (And what settings it offers are minimal.) This is a larger irritant.

- It requires me to “register” the paper type in the main cassette and in the rear feeder. (No way to set this from my computer or iPad; it must be done on the printer itself.) All my other printers let me select a paper type from within Photoshop and then simply print; there was no need to “register” anything on the printer. If I load photo paper in the main tray and try to print a photo, this thing refuses to print until I go to the printer and re-register that cassette.

In other words, nearly everything has to be done physically on the printer itself. I assume this is because the driver for the Mac or iOS is inadequate. (I’ve installed the latest drivers. No joy.)

The final straw: last night after I changed the yellow ink cartridge, the printer started turning out dark, murky images. I’ve never seen this before. The other cartridges from the same box have been fine. I suppose I could buy more ink to see if that’s the problem, but I’m reluctant to spend more money on this turd at this point.

So I’ve had it. I’ve hated this printer from the start, and life is too short to waste any more time on it.

Any recommendations for a printer that works well with Mac and iOS? Oh, and prints nice photos, too? I’m willing to pay more for something I don’t want to smash with a hammer every time I use it.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @twitchly

Twitchly's gear list:Twitchly's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW120 Canon G1 X III Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow