Fuji Leatherette problem - re-glue - contact cement - ???

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jim Radcliffe
Jim Radcliffe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,024
Fuji Leatherette problem - re-glue - contact cement - ???

I had my X-T1 converted to IR about a year ago and while the IR conversion works well the leatherette (fake leather) that covers the front and a portion of the back (total of 3 pieces) has never fully bonded to the body.. it has peeled up on the edge in two places and you can actually "move" the leatherette by pressing on it with your thumb.

So today I removed all three pieces of leatherette from the body of the X-T1 and then used Goo Gone to remove the sticky residue left by whatever the guy that modified my camera for IR.

So now I have a couple of questions:

1 is it possible to order new leatherette for the Fuji X-T1? If yes, have you done so? and from where?

2 Have any of you reattached the leatherette and if so what did you use to to "glue" it back on the camera body?  We are talking rubber to metal... glue, contact cement or some other means I am unaware of?

-OR-

Is this something I should trust to a camera repair shop that has a track record of fixing such issues.... if you know of any.. please let me know.

Yes, I suppose I could send it back to the guy who did the IR conversion and have him reattach the leatherette but I fear he may use the same means of attaching it and I'll have the same problem all over again..

I will appreciate your thoughts on this... as I do not wish to leave the camera "naked" as there are what appears to be small openings that might allow dust and moisture into the camera body.

See the photo below and I have included a sample photo of what the IR conversion is giving me.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
Working on a new website
http://www.boxedlight.com (Old website)
Gear is not the answer.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow