Collimating my RC telescope.

Started Oct 19, 2020 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Rutgerbus Senior Member • Posts: 2,287
Collimating my RC telescope.

It is known that RC telescopes are among the most used optical instruments in professional astronomy. In fact, most big telescopes and observing site are using an RC-design telescope.

The cool thing about RC's is that they are relatively cheap and have great focal length. They are on the slow side, but with additional focal reducer you can achieve a relative fast scope at around F6. That's why I also bought one. For just €350 I obtained a 2nd hand scope with focal reducer and extra dovetail bar included.

Did a collimation of the scope the other day using a REEGO collimation tool and a DSI-collimation method on a real star.

Then, to test the freshly collimated optics I could do just a short session (7x180sec) on the Horsehead in Ha before it got clouded again.

Camera used was a ZWO ASI1600MM cool on the Omegon RC6" telescope operating at 1007mm F6. Furthermore I was using a Cem25p mount and image control and guiding was done with ASIair.

The image posted is a Facebook grab, so details are probably not there. I'll try to upload the original processed stack once I'm home.

-- hide signature --

www.rutgerbus.nl
Photographic Moments
A photon only stops "existing" when it is captured by your sensor.

Rutgerbus's gear list:Rutgerbus's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow