Collapsible Lens Hood and Filter use

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Michael Boniwell Forum Member • Posts: 85
Collapsible Lens Hood and Filter use

Bit of an odd question. I've recently changed from screw in filters to the circular Kase magnetic ones, which I love. (So easy to clip on and off). One of the reasons for choosing them is the ability to use a lens hood. I find the hood invaluable for keeping moisture off the front element as well as the obvious flare resistance.

The issue I'm facing is that the magnetic polarizing filter, whilst amazing, is impossible to adjust with the hood in place. (This is with, for example, the EF 24-70 F2.8 II which has a 82mm thread).

To work around this I need to remove the hood, adjust the polarization, and replace the hood again - a process during which it is possible to accidentally dislodge the filter and have it crash to the rocks below. Yes that happened, and kudos to Kase there was zero damage.

So what I thought might help was a rubber collapsible lens hood that attached to the same bayonet mount on the lens barrel that the factory hood does, so it doesn't get in the way of my fingers when adjusting the polarizer and can be easily deployed or retracted.

However, googling for such a rubber hood it would appear that they all mount to the filter threads and not the lens barrel, is this correct?

Can anyone help with this issue?

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow