Why so few votes?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 4,900
Why so few votes?

I imagine this has been dealt with before, but the question has bothered me for a while.

Why are there are few votes in the challenges?

Let's take the example of the just-finished Doors challenge. It was a very popular one and the 100 places filled up very quickly.

The winning entry is pretty good (the door itself is stunning) and one of several that would have deserved to win. But look at the scores. Despite the interest in the topic, the winning entry received only 17 votes. It got:

0.5 - 1

1.0 - 0

1.5 - 0

2.0 - 1

2.5 - 4

3.0 - 5

3.5 - 2

4.0 - 3

4.5 - 0

5.0 - 1

Now, I don't want to pick on that entry - it is just an example of something I see regularly. Only 17 people voted and of those more than 50% apparently felt it was decidedly ordinary and only deserved 2.5 or 3.0 stars. Only one voter felt it was worth more than 4.0 stars. Yet that was enough for it to beat 99 other entries.

I gather there is some kind of algorithm at play that weights the entries, and of course there is no prize money or anything involved, but it really does suggest to me the challenges are in pretty poor shape. What can be done to get more interest in voting and stop a small handful of votes so strongly shaping the final outcome?

-- hide signature --

"You should take photos of whatever you want. That's punk" - Joe Strummer

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow