In praise of cheap mid-90's AF SLR's

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bridgehouse Regular Member • Posts: 361
In praise of cheap mid-90's AF SLR's

I've been building up a collection of AF SLRs, and picked up a Minolta Dynax 500si with the kit 35-70 zoom.

It was cheap. Really cheap - like less than £10 cheap. It's in great condition, works perfectly and gives some acceptable results. Although polycarbonate, it seems tough enough, the viewfinder is reasonably bright, displays aperture and shutter values and focus confirmation, along with exp comp. and there's a handy LCD display on top.

It's lightweight, and reasonably compact. The kit lens is clearly cheap - corners are soft, centre is acceptable, and it's not exactly the most contrasty of lenses.

But, as a package, for cheap film thrills, it's near enough disposable. There's a tonne of them on the bay, plenty of cheap lens choices, and a whole range of different bodies if you want a bit more, or a bit less features wise.

I ran a test roll of FP4+ through it - perfectly good results. Ignore the subject matter - it was a test roll, and I couldn't stray too far from home. It was a grey and miserable Sunday...

All in all, I'm really pleased with it. I've got a 50/1.7 on the way (for not that much more than the camera)

I'm really loving picking up these 90's AF SLR's.. cheap fun!

Anyone else enjoying bargain cheap 90's AF SLRs?

Bridgehouse's gear list:Bridgehouse's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow