How do you setup on camera Flash?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jeff Wahaus Regular Member • Posts: 185
How do you setup on camera Flash?

I've been experimenting with the Olympus OM-D E-M1iii and FL-700WR combo trying to figure out what are the best settings are for general flash photography.

The basic considerations are:

Which camera mode to you select?  M P A S

Each mode has it's own considerations.  I've found that manual mode is the only mode with predictable results.  All of the automatic modes seem to want to blend available light with flash fill.  I've tried flash bracketing FL BKT mode it and I wasn't able to see much difference in the exposure in the automatic modes (P A S).

The shutter speed in the automatic modes seems to want to prefer available light + flash blend as opposed to just letting the flash light the scene.  This may be desired in better lit scenes but when you know there isn't enough light (i.e. you don't want to use a slow shutter speed) manual mode seems to be the way to go.  I typically use 1/125 @ f/4.  Keep in mind when the camera is in Manual mode, the flash is controlling the exposure automatically as I'm using TTL mode on the flash.

The other consideration is:  what aperture do you select?

I have a few of the Olympus f/1.2 lenses and in some automatic modes (P S) the camera may select a very wide aperture in order to bring up the available light exposure.  I've found that f/1.2 has such a narrow focus that you wouldn't want to use it most of the time.  In P or S mode the camera may decide to use such a wide aperture.

So the question is:  How do you setup your camera for hot shoe mounted flash?

Jeff Wahaus's gear list:Jeff Wahaus's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow