Strange phenomenon with an E-M1.2

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 20,856
Strange phenomenon with an E-M1.2

Yesterday I photographed a soccer game for a local club - my first in over 6 months and my first major shoot in that time also.

E-M1.2, 40-150mm f/2.8, C-AF, mechanical shutter at 10 fps, M mode with auto ISO, f/2.8 and 1/1000.  I wasn't using BBF.   I have had this permanently set up as C3 since my last game 6 months ago and have shot about 15 games in total with pretty well the same settings.

Part way through the first half I found that occasionally, when half pressing the shutter release to obtain focus lock, the camera made a slight mechanical noise and there was a slight flicker of the screen.  This would happen once or twice, then the focus would beep and the box turn green to signal focus lock.  The noise and flicker were very similar to that when using electronic shutter with C-AF.  Maybe the diaphragm was stopping down even though I hadn't started shooting and the aperture was wide open.  This only happened when the focus distance had changed significantly.  I press the shutter release frequently to keep in focused on the right area.
I ignored the noise and concentrated on my shooting.  After about 15 minutes I noticed that the noise and flicker had stopped and I didn't notice it again for the rest of the shoot.

The only thing that I had done that was unusual was to mount an MC14 before the game to see whether the light was good enough to use it - it wasn't so I took it off.  I checked that the aperture was set to f/2.8 after taking it off, because it had obviously changed to f/4 with the TC mounted.

Has anybody experienced anything like this before and does anybody have any explanation?  I am a bit twitchy about problems with my body or lens because of the JIP situation.

(The home side won 5-0 and I managed to get all five goals!)

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow