Want to try Medium Format

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MattPointZero
MattPointZero Senior Member • Posts: 1,384
Re: Want to try Medium Format

brick33308 wrote:

MattPointZero wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

you should also post this question on the Medium Format forum.

I had the GFX50R plus 3 of the best GF lenses and I sold the whole kit, reasons too numerous to discuss. Suffice it to say you may be looking for the holy grail which isn't IMO the GFX50R.

I did the same and am curious what your reasons were?

no IBIS and very difficult to achieve critical focus when hand held which became apparent given the much higher resolution of the sensor. Plus my preferred shooting styles are street and also landscape when hiking which are favored by a smaller camera and not lugging around/using a tripod. In the end I sold it all and got a Leica Q2, perhaps my favorite camera of all time. My Sony A7iii sits on the shelf except for studio portraits and stage work.

You should ask yourself why the MF will suit your purposes (including especially how and what you print) before unloading all that money on the GFX50R and GF lenses.

Interesting, and much the same as my experience.  The unreliability of handheld critical focus was key for me too.

Interestingly, I also bought a Q2 - and as a camera in terms of handling and image quality I also think it is one of the best things I ever owned.  Unfortunately I don't get on with 28mm which is not a preferred FL for me.  If there was a 35mm Q2 it would possibly be the last camera I ever bought!

MattPointZero's gear list:MattPointZero's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sigma 35mm F1.2 DG DN Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Lan
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow