Sky Replacement AI. Should I Try It?

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,024
Sky Replacement AI. Should I Try It?

A pro art photographer friend of mine here in San Antonio told me that he was very impressed with the sky replacement capability of Luminar AI Sky Replacement. He loves playing with it and said it produced dramatic results. He is going back in his LR files and replacing skies on shots that he considers good but had boring or bald skies. He shoots high-res FF (Canon R5) and said the res blended well.

I was wondering if it would blend well with the 100MP of the GFX 100. I am obsessed with skies and I notice them constantly, not matter what I’m doing. How many times have we seen a dramatic sky and said to ourselves, “I wish I had my MF camera with me.”

DPR is running an article right now on Luminar getting a similar water reflection AI tool.

So to all of you MF landscape shooters who are always longing for that dramatic sky, what do you think about this as a tool? Would it work well with GFX 50 or 100 MP?

I am aware of all of the angst about these AI tools. People say:

• It is tacky and fake.
  • It changes the norm. Dramatic skies become common and even demanded on every image.
  • It ruins photography. It takes away the dramatic impact of actually having shot a great scene with an actual rare but great sky that was part of the original shot.
  • It takes away the wow factor and makes every mundane image a winner. It cheapens photography and allows every snap-shooter to produce dramatic results.
  • The images are a dime a dozen and all over Instagram of every famous landmark on Earth.
  • All landscapes start to look alike.
  • The library of files Luminar offers are finite, so millions of photographers are replacing skies with the same sky library.
  • It is cheating. But is it? Some say it is just a tool, like any other preset of file manipulation. They say it is part of the art. It is inevitable and unavoidable. AI will only increase in photography.

So what say you? Should we use this tool? If I decide to try it, will it work well with GFX res?

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rbf
rbf
rbf
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow