Non - PSAM vs. PSAM

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AaronX Senior Member • Posts: 1,633
Non - PSAM vs. PSAM

I will probably get killed by saying this, but it may resonate with some colleagues in this forum who also use other brands in addition to Fuji. I don't find non-PSAM better than PSAM. I also find any difference between these two to be just superficial. I use both non-PSAM and PSAM cameras and I can switch between them without any problem or the need to adjust muscle memory.

Everything is a tradeoff. With several marked dials on the Fuji, you can see your settings without turning the camera on, but they are easy to knock off position when taking the camera in and out of the bag, and it's difficult to implement C1, C2 settings. And if your shooting style doesn't require changing the shutter speed dial it's just something cluttering your top plate. For example, I live in aperture priority mode 99% of the time. I set my ISO dial to A and exposure compensation to C. So those dials are just decorations or waste of space for me most of the time. On the other hand, someone else who constantly twists the shutter speed, ISO, EC knobs will find it different.

Many people are led by Fuji campaign and internet wisdoms to believe that the Fuji way is a complete different way to make an exposure, while in fact there is no material difference from PSAM. PSAM dial or not, the underlying exposure modes are still auto, shutter speed priority, aperture priority, and manual. The only difference is that with the Fuji you use two dials (aperture dial and shutter speed dial) to achieve it, while in other brands you use one dial (the PSAM dial) and a scrolling wheel to achieve it.

for example, look at manual exposure. With PSAM, you put the dial to M and use two wheels to change aperture value and shutter speed. With Fuji, you use the aperture ring to change aperture value and use the shutter dial to change shutter speed. There is no much difference at all. It's more of idiosyncrasy or habit which one you prefer. For aperture priority, with PSAM you turn the PSAM dial to A, and adjust the wheel (or the aperture ring); with Fuji you turn the shutter speed dial to A, and adjust the wheel (or the aperture ring). With programmed auto, in Fuji you turn the shutter speed dial to A and turn the aperture dial to A; while with other brands you simply turn the PSAM dial to P. As these examples show, there really is no much difference. One can jump from one interface to another without any problem. People are exaggerating when they say Fuji is so unique or PSAM is so difficult to use. It's all habits and personal preference.

To conclude, I'm glad that Fuji is giving people OPTIONS. Options are good for both customers and the company.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow