Old studio strobes

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
petrochemist Senior Member • Posts: 2,853
Old studio strobes

I recently bagged a very cheap Bowens mono gold studio flash, to use with my Neewer S300N.

It's quite powerful & has reasonable power adjustment but unfortunately it turns out it doesn't take the normal Bowens modifiers. Bowens type S bayonet fittings seem to be as near standard for lighting as anything else, but my Bowens unit uses L type modifiers 

It's effectively more than doubled the price of my 2nd strobe but I've come up with a way of adapting the fitting. This will mean having the modifiers further out from the flash tube, which I suspect will cause issues with some types of modifier. Any experiences/opinions on which types of modifier will work, and how severe the issues will be with others?

Can anyone confirm the specs for this strobe (I've seen 1000Ws quoted on the net, along with a 15V trigger)

I'm also curious about just how old the unit is, I think it might date back from the 1960's when Bowens first introduced the monobloc - certainly it built like a tank!

petrochemist's gear list:petrochemist's gear list
Pentax K100D Sigma SD14 Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +15 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow