Are there any 600mm lenses for the Sony mirrorless cameras on the horizon?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
shotguns Contributing Member • Posts: 905
Re: Are there any 600mm lenses for the Sony mirrorless cameras on the horizon?

I have the 600/4 and had the 200-600.

The IQ on the 600 is just great and the AF speed is worth it if one can afford it. The weight is one of the best perks on this one too.

The 200-600 is very good. I gave mine to my sister and am about to get another. The weight is a little more than one might expect but not bad. I think the diameter of the lens is what makes it a little uncomfortable to hold. What I mean is, the 600 I know I'll mostly hold by the foot unless I'm shooting things in trees that need manual AF override in which case I move the foot to the top and rest the lens on/in my hand.

The 200-600 is used with a foot but it's size and weight are right where you (I) want to just hand hold it and ignore the foot...but... it's so large around that (for my hands at least) this doesn't feel comfortable so I can't "manhandle" it. Still, it had very good IQ for the price and good range and focuses pretty fast.

With on sensor AF they both do well with TCs (esp the 600).

I'd not hold my breath on 3rd party options (at least not new ones down the road). Long lenses are not cheap to RD well. I used the Sigma 500 with my D850 when on Nikon and really liked it. Heavy - but I liked the IQ quite well...and, for 4K used - it was relatively affordable.

Good luck in your decision making.

shotguns's gear list:shotguns's gear list
Sony a9 II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow