A6600 to A7C is it worth it?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Pragmateek New Member • Posts: 21
A6600 to A7C is it worth it?

Hello all,

So far I'm taking pictures with my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Note 4 then Google Pixel 4), and though quality is in general "correct" for my usage (landscapes, plants, villages, animals (insects and cows, not tigers or lions ;-))) I find myself quickly limited by:

• The zoom range (x5 would be a minimum)
  • The low light performance

So I started to look for a digital camera that would fix these two issues, and at the same time remaining quite compact.

After weeks of research I've come to the conclusion that the Sony Alpha 6600 would be my sweet spot as:

• APS-C is a good compromise between IQ, size, and cost
  • A6600 has great IBIS and AF

(before that I was considering the A7 III but handling it in a shop made me realize it was too bulky for me, and quite expensive too as my budget was around 2K€ (~2.4K$))
I was just waiting to see what the competition would release in the coming weeks, and for a price drop maybe during black-friday in November.

And then came the A7C which makes me reconsider my choice as I could now have a FF almost as compact as an APS-C, and I was almost immediately sold.

But the A7C is far more expensive than the A6600: I can get the A6600+18-135mm kit at 1850€ (~2150$) but the A7C+24-240mm (not a kit) is at 2900€ (3400$), +50% more!

So I'm wondering if the price difference could be justified by either or both the overperformance of:

• The A7C vs A6600 boxes
  • The FF vs APS-C lenses

Or if the A7C is just a great demo of Sony top engineering but with little or no benefit from an IQ point of view?

Thanks for any contribution. 

Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow