Which cameras have an optical low-pass filter (for anti-aliasing)?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Paul De Bra
Paul De Bra Forum Pro • Posts: 12,795
So... lenses are becoming too sharp...

Mark Ransom wrote:

Moiré is caused when the image projected by the lens out-resolves the sensor. As sensor resolutions have gone up this becomes less likely, explaining the disappearing AA filter trend. Any source of blur can act as an AA filter, including misfocus, motion blur, or diffraction limiting. It becomes increasingly uncommon for the stars to align in such a way to make moiré a problem.

When I just got the E-M5 (with a weak AA filter) in 2012 I only saw Moiré with the 20mm f/1.7, a very sharp lens. But later I got the 12-40 f/2.8 and started seeing Moiré more often. Moving on (later) to the E-M5 II has increased the number of images with Moiré again (because of the lack of AA filter). I don't want to rely on the unsharpness of lenses to not need an AA filter. For me a lens can never be too sharp.

-- hide signature --

Getting to know the Olympus OM-D E-M5 II.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow