Leica M to Nikon Z AUTOFOCUS adapter

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
LarsHP
LarsHP Regular Member • Posts: 330
Leica M to Nikon Z AUTOFOCUS adapter

An autofocus adapter for Leica M mount lenses on Nikon Z cameras is soon available.

It appears from the text on the box that the brand name is Gabale, but in the post where this is found, the adapter is called Techart MTZ11.

Gabale and Techart are obviously closely associated. On the official Techart website I have seen images of their products with credit to Gabale.

The images are obviously of early prototype models and was posted on a Japanese Nikon Facebook site on September 5th (2020):

https://www.facebook.com/pg/nikon.jp/posts/

... but when you check out the original poster, it's Shoten Kobo, which may indicate that the brand Shoten is also in the same group of companies:

https://www.facebook.com/SHOTENKOBO/posts/2957424434366756?__tn__=H-R

Whether the autofocus adapter is designed and manufactured by Gabale, Techart or Shoten is perhaps not that important if it's the same group of engineers behind.

In a Chinese forum post the engineer(?) wrote the following on September 4th (here translated by Google) :

"Hello everyone, I’m Gabriel, I have kept you waiting.
After the release of the Nikon Z camera, we found that the Z mount has a huge advantage in adapting, especially when adapting to the rangefinder lens of the M mount, the effect is close to its performance in the original camera. The Nikon Z mount has many advantages, and I position it as the most suitable mount for adapters. The Nikon Z7 has also become my portable camera.
Last year, I discussed with several partners to make a MZ manual lens autofocus adapter ring. The project was officially approved in September, and it was originally planned to be launched this spring. The plan was disrupted by an epidemic. Logically, it is necessary to postpone the delayed time, but in fact many tasks have to be repeated.
Many friends keep asking me about my progress. I am very grateful to you. It also gave us pressure and motivation from the side. The process did have many twists and turns, but the result is good. Now the adapter has been officially developed successfully, and it has been tested for some time. This time, the mechanical structure is completely new, and the spiral transmission structure is used to solve some of the previous pain points.
This time the adapter has also registered a utility model patent last year and will use the new trademark "Megadap".
This time the adapter can be used for single-shot autofocus, and it can be used in both camera and video modes for focus tracking. Although there is a gap with the auto lens, it is a small improvement. I recorded a short video, thank you again for your expectations. The adapter left the market very quickly this time.

The video can be searched for "Gabriel mtz11" on Youku."

I put some of the most interesting new in bold. The Leica M to Sony E autofocus adapter has been criticized for being weak resulting in tilted focus plane after some use. This appears to be solved in the new adapter for Nikon Z.

In a post just after the above quote (on October 2nd) another user says that Gabriel has now confirmed that the adapter will be available in the middle of October. That's very soon!

The video mentioned in the quote is showing the adapter doing it's magic here, also shared by Shoten Kobo at Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/SHOTENKOBO/videos/techart-mtz11-af-test/1237829993235824/

LarsHP's gear list:LarsHP's gear list
Nikon Z6 Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +11 more
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
FKS
FKS
FKS
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow