Flash: TTL + exposure compensation vs full manual

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
techie takes pics Senior Member • Posts: 1,247
Flash: TTL + exposure compensation vs full manual

I want to use my flash to darken the background a little while keeping my subjects exposure right.

I have spoken to a pro and seen Youtube videos on this. They use the manual method: Camera to M mode, expose for the background, then fill in with flash on a manual setting. 
The amount of exposure and powersettings of the flash are a mixture of experience and trial-and-error. You can quickly dial in to the correct setting.

However, this also works and I wonder if I am overlooking something, because it is more simple.

I set my camera to A and the flash to TTL. I dial in exposure compensation to around -0.7. This darkens the background. When I take the photo, the TTL-flash compensates for the missing light ... but only on the subject of course.

So the subject is perfectly exposed and background separation is achieved.

This works but it sounds too simple, there must be something I am missing.  If the pro's are doing it on full manual there must be a reason for that.  What is it?

techie takes pics's gear list:techie takes pics's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow