Sony 135mm f1.8 worth it?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
AlephNull Senior Member • Posts: 2,045
Re: Yes, 100%

jackie semple wrote:

basleigh wrote:

Trying to pluck up the courage to buy this lens as it gives me a medium telephoto to accompany my 35mm f2,8 Sony Zeiss. As the owner of many Sony lenses your verdict makes such a decision tip the scales. My paper loss on my Fujifilm cameras is more than the price of the Sony 135mm f1,8. Collecting stamps would be an easier hobby.

Perhaps you should consider the Zeiss 135mm f2.8 Batis Lens. In contrast to the Sony 135/1.8 it is much more compact, takes a 67mm filter and weighs 614 gms. I have had a copy for two years. It is a beautiful lens to use and produces excellent results.

I often carry the Batis 135/2.8, the Tamron 28-75/2.8 and the Sony 85/1.8 (plus Nissin i40 flash) in my small backpack. That covers a lot without sacrificing quality.

I think it depends on the body you are using - on 24 megapixels, maybe, or if weight is a major issue. On the A7R4, the sharpness difference between the Batis and the GM is more noticeable, particularly if you crop heavily.

The GM is not cheap, but I fully expect to be using it with multiple generations of bodies to come.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow