It's time for Sony to release a major firmware update for A9II & A7RIV!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
AlephNull Senior Member • Posts: 2,043
Re: It's time for Sony to release a major firmware update for A9II & A7RIV!

Simone S wrote:

AlephNull wrote:

Simone S wrote:

Bob Janes wrote:

Simone S wrote:

I think it's due given the Canon R5 competition!

I expect better AF algorithms for both models and:

A9II : 1)s-log and 4k 60p; 2) pixel shift; 3) focus stacking @ 20fps with electronic shutter (just like canon R5); 4) basic camera edition for Jpg

A7RIV: 1) 4k 60p; 2) S-RAW with higher frame rate and bigger buffer; 3) Focus stacking @ 10fps; 4) some basic camera editing for Jpg

Your thoughts?

I would expect a bigger buffer to require a hardware element.

Remember that taking a device beyond what it was originally designed to do requires lots of testing to guard against unforseen consequences, and would still carry risk for the end user, whose camera is likely to be out of warranty.

In general you are right but in that case a small/medium RAW will be smaller than a normal RAW and so I think the same in-camera buffer will handle more pictures to be taken before filling up..

By the way I payed 3400 euros for my RIV so I expect Sony to do some firmware updates when competition push strong and also a good amount of testing before releasing it!

I think you misunderstand your relationship with Sony.

Sony does not owe you firmware updates, not a single one. They might choose to issue firmware updates, but they are under no obligation to do so. You did not buy a contract for continuous improvement - you bought a camera which had a known list of features. If those features did not suit you, then you should not have purchased the camera. You should not expect Sony to add features to the camera after you bought it, even if you threaten to hold your breath until you turn blue!

I am curious: if you buy a new car (which might cost more than this camera) do you expect the car company to add improvements to it later?

Sorry but I didn't misunderstand anything! I respectfully think that You misunderstood something here. I didn't say I expected Sony to make firmware updates because they owe me anything (even if they could also care about my loyalty) but because they owe something to themself, as a company who operate in a free market and want to avoid customers to switch to others brands ( as an example I already know a couple of friends/colleagues and now ex-Sony users that are switching to Canon because of the better birds eye Af implementation ) So my idea is that Sony will have to better their existing cameras right now if they want to prevent customers migration.. That's why I'm doing my list of possible software related improvements here and asking to other people their own...

Your comparison with cars is nothing sort of inappropriate because cars don't benefit from software updates.. better comparison could be with smartphones and in fact my 3 years old iPhone is still very usable and actually a better tool than when I bought it, because it gets continuously updated with new iOs software...obviously newer models with better hardware are the best!

"By the way I payed 3400 euros for my RIV so I expect Sony to do some firmware updates"

"I didn't say I expected Sony to make firmware updates because they owe me anything"

Really?

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow