It's time for Sony to release a major firmware update for A9II & A7RIV!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
AlephNull Senior Member • Posts: 2,046
Re: It's time for Sony to release a major firmware update for A9II & A7RIV!

Based wrote:

Simone S wrote:

Based wrote:

Simone S wrote:

I think it's due given the Canon R5 competition!

I expect better AF algorithms for both models and:

Sony is already working on it: Its called a9III and a7rV.

Yep... but that's hardware not software... I'm asking about possible software improvements here, obviously I don't expect more megapixels in my A9II...even if I'd like to have the option to do pixel shift like we had in the old A7RIII and the actual A7RIV..

That doesnt change anything. Of course Sony could offer firmware updates to older models to add in new software only features (like Fuji), but they have always abandoned older models in favour of including the new features on the next model. This way they make more money with people upgrading.

That's not entirely true. My A7R III, with the firmware that shipped on the first batch, could only do eye AF when I pressed a custom button. After I installed a later firmware, I was able to make it a standard choice. (I think it also added animal eye AF, but I'm not certain) So Sony do add features in firmware updates sometimes.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow