Infrared Conversion: 4/3 micro vs. Crop vs. FF sensor?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
nkistrup
OP nkistrup Senior Member • Posts: 2,497
Re: Daytime IR shooting

ken_in_nh wrote:

If you just want color shift effects, you hardly need an IR converted camera!

Can you explain this?

This means you won't be pushing ISO speeds and you won't need particularly fast shutter speeds. Any advantage of FF fades away at this point, unless you want FF in order to spend more money and impress your friends with big lenses and big cameras.

Only time I'll be increasing ISO, is to freeze action of water, vegetation, etc.   So point taken about one of the advantages of FF (i.e. better handling of high ISO values).  But you don't think it has any other advantages for IR?  (e.g. better image quality from letting in more light)

Keep in mind too that part of the classic IR film look was the grain. (Yes, I've been shooting IR since the late 1960s!). I suspect that any image noise you might get will not detract from an image.

Not so sure about that.  But it might be something to experiment with.

As others have suggested, lens choice is more critical than camera choice. Fortunately, there's enough information online to guide you through this problem.

Actually, the online sources are suspect.  The 4 Nikon F mount lenses that I considered important toward converting a Nikon Z camera to IR, were rated highly ... but I found otherwise.

With that said, I know of at least 2 well-behaved Tamron lenses, for the Sony FE mount.  And there are 2 other Tamron lenses that probably play nice with infrared.  So I'm thinking Sony, but FF.

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow