A new way of resetting Epson SP3800/3880 carts?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Craftsman70 Regular Member • Posts: 151
A new way of resetting Epson SP3800/3880 carts?

I recently purchase the WT-3800 (the older blue one that has issues with resetting a subset of carts) due to the fact that all I wanted to do was reset a maintenance tank and the lower price was just a bonus (got it for about $10 US). The seller on ALIEXPRESS strictly listed on their ad that it was for maintenance tanks and didn't make a clear reference to carts.

When the resetter arrived, the instructions clearly stated that the resetter will work fine for the entire series of carts for both the 3800 and the 3880 as they listed the carts by model number. The funny thing is that they didn't list the maintenance tank by model number. The resetter worked great on the maintenance tank. And since I had a LLK T5809 cart hanging around from the previous owner of my 3880 (came with refillable carts and the LLK as well as C OEM cart), I was curious to see if the resetter would work. Both carts were recognized by the printer before using the resetter.

On the LLK, the resetter did as expected and reported many times, it had issues - blinking red LED and then solid red LED signifying that there was a problem resetting the cart. On the Cyan cart, the resetter went through the paces (blinking red, solid green and then off). I was expecting that the Cyan would show up 100% as the resetter indicated everything was fine but according to my printer's LCD panel, it was now non-Genuine cart. I tried resetting it a few more times and came up with the same result.

Anyways, getting to the point of this post, I contacted the vendor who stated that the resetter cannot be used to reset carts WITHOUT the use of a Chip Sensor which they sell along with the WT-3800 (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1376502260.html?spm=a2g0s.imconversation.0.0.404c3e5fr6tFC9 has instructions to what I mean).  The Chip Sensor is basically the self resetting chip that is included with most refillable carts from what I can see in their ad.  They claim that to reset a chip, you need to install the chip into a refillable cart, then use the chip resetter to reset the chip.

To me, this doesn't make any sense as from what I've read, the 'sensor chip' doesn't transfer any of the information of the chip's ink level status to the printer and the 'sensor chip' does that.  If that is the case, then how would the resetter be able to reset the original chip.

Has anyone heard of anyone being able to reset a chip using this process?

Craftsman70's gear list:Craftsman70's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow