Vlogging/traveling with Batis 18mm vs 16-35mm F4

Started Oct 9, 2020 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
davicorn Forum Member • Posts: 56
Vlogging/traveling with Batis 18mm vs 16-35mm F4

Switching from Canon due to the recent EOS R5 debacle and looking at new gear to get.

I want one travel/vlogging lens that I can leave on the camera and use outside for video work. I am using the 16-35mm F4 IS from Canon and it's so hefty that I almost don't want to bring it. Sony has the 16-35mm F4 as well but the Batis 18mm looks reaaally nice, a bit more compact and lighter. (I'm a 50mm stills shooter so I don't care about the 35mm end).

IS is nice but with IBIS like on the a7sIII probably not so important, especially on wide angle. Zooming is nice to have, but I barely go over 19~20mm on my Canon.

Portability is the most important to me. I need a video lens at home as well that can be bigger but right now focus is run and fun with good autofocus

So I'm wondering about 16-35mm vs 18mm Batis for vlogging and traveling. Any other lenses I should be looking at that don't become glitchy with AF?

How hefty is the Batis? Is it light?

(Also considering a compacter APS-C setup, but if I can have everything on FE like with the a7c, that'd be sweet)

davicorn's gear list:davicorn's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS R5 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow