how to read serial no.

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 35,723
Re: how to read serial no.

cx5bc wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

My last five digit is 10260. So I cannot figure out the year and month. If someone can help, please let me know.

The camera serial number tells you nothing as far as I know, the internal service menu will display the MCS number on its page 3 and the last 3 digits of that MCS number decode to year and month.

Just checked my E-M10 Mk2 and its MCS number ends in 001 so to my understanding that means 2010 or 2020 from the first "0" and the last two digits "01" are January. That model was released in 2015 so that means my motherboard is dated as January 2020. Which is quite odd as I bought it in early December of 2019.

So from my little experiment, I'm not sure what you would really learn from finding the date. Plus if the camera had had some repair that involved swapping out the motherboard then the date will be of the motherboard and not the camera.

The question is, why are you trying to learn the date of your camera?

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow