Purchasing a R6 and very confused about cards and lenses

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
RogerZoul
RogerZoul Senior Member • Posts: 2,705
Re: Purchasing a R6 and very confused about cards and lenses

Master619 wrote:

Sarah Is Confused wrote:

Hello everyone,

First post here. I have been photographing on my second hand, very beat up, 7D for years and have decided to take the plunge and buy a R6. I'm not very technology minded and having been using the equipment for so long I'm a bit confused about all the different options for cards. Google is telling me I should buy 2 "SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro 300MB/s UHS-II SDXC Card", would you all agree with this?

I'm hoping to purchase a 70-200mm lens later in the year and wasn't sure if I should go for a secondhand (but like new) EF or a new (but with cash back) RF. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I mostly photograph my children but I'm also taking a video course and plan to use the camera for family films. I also have a set of studio lights that I use for "photoshoots" with my children.

Thank you all so much, all advice is welcome.

"SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro 300MB/s UHS-II SDXC Card" is a very good card, but if all you will do is photographing your children and family you don't necessarily need it, let alone two of them. One of them will be plentiful, or two 64GB ones if you want the best peace of mind for redundancy. Hell, even one 64GB is a good starting point if you wanna save the money for something else. Of course SD cards are quite cheap nowadays and / or if you have a large budget then sure go for 2 128GB ones.

About the 70-200, of course the RF one is the greatest right now but the EF version ii or iii is not too far behind. The best thing about the RF is it's quite light and compact (when collapsed), so bringing it on shoots feels less of a hassle. That, of course, comes with a much heftier price tag. Image quality and focus wise, the RF will be a bit better than the other two, but not by much and you'll need to pixel peep to see the difference. The images from the EF lenses will definitely be enough to make you happy. So in my opinion, consider their sizes / ergonomics and price more than image quality / focus speed.

She probably won’t notice the difference in IQ and/or focus speed but the size and compactness she will notice every time! That RF is one sweet lens.

RogerZoul's gear list:RogerZoul's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Jx9
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow