Cameraphones - suggestions please!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Jostian
Jostian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,365
Re: Cameraphones - suggestions please!

Andy Currie wrote:

Hi,

I was in the market to buy a carry-around camera like the Fuji 100V but am now seriously considering a camera phone as an alternative.

I'm interested in taking and editing photos on the device and sharing with family and friends, as well as when traveling or visiting places.

Is there a genuine camera phone quality camera that I should be considering? - thanks for your advice.

I'm in UK by the way...

if you are gonna shoot in auto mode stay away from Samsung and to lesser extent iPhones (photos look great on small screens) but both use heavy handed processing so smeary details and smoothed away fine texture are the norm if you look a little closer.

Best auto mode is Pixel & Huawei, processing is still there but not as heavy handed. If you are gonna shoot RAW and then edit then all are very good. over the last year I've owned and compared the P30 Pro, Mate 20 Pro, iPhone, Samsung S20 Ultra, S20 +, LG G7 and a few more and the for me the Huawei's are easy winners, not just from an IQ perspective but each of the 3 lenses are available in Pro mode, all 3 lenses can shoot in RAW, and Huawei is still the only OEM that when you shoot in Pro mode with RAW enabled the jpeg you get is directly from the RAW, bypassing the in-house processing completely, which is very useful and way more natural looking in terms of IQ.

as an example see these 100% crops (P30 pro), top is auto mode, bottom is the jpeg directly from RAW that the camera produces automatically.

-- hide signature --
 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow