Sigma SA Mount

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
danski0224 Senior Member • Posts: 1,213
Re: focusing

It is reasonable to assume that the Sigma auto focus sensor array works similar to what Canon has and other DSLR manufacturers.

The sensitivity can vary, which is evident in claimed "low light" center AF point performance (a -ev number is given).

The performance of the center AF point can also vary between f/2.8 and f/4 lenses.

You are correct that I am not quoting Sigma specs, and I do not have them memorized.

However, I have a Canon EOS 620 film camera with 5 (IIRC) focus points and I had a 5dII with a few more.

Either of those cameras will auto focus faster and more reliably than the Sigma DSLR's I have tried, just sticking with center point only. This is a reasonable comparison because the technology age is comparable as is the market segment (not a "professional" body).

In my opinion, the sdQ is a big improvement for AF accuracy compared to the SD1M and earlier, given Global Vision lenses. The DSLR will focus faster due to the different methods involved, and I feel limited to the center point only for consistency. The sdQ can focus lock on any point that I choose, which is nice (the dp/DP cameras also have many more AF points available compared to the sister DSLR). And while the sdQ is better, it is not a match to other cameras with live view focusing for speed.

I do not know if the sdQ AF performance changes with different wide open f stop lenses.

-- hide signature --

Moments in Time, a work in progress.... https://www.flickr.com/gp/142423236@N08/965cs3

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow