Help with Keylight flash choice

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CloudIQ New Member • Posts: 4
Help with Keylight flash choice

Hi guys

Historically, I have been doing quite a bit of product photography but with continuous lights. During the lockdown, I decided that I want to branch out into flash photography as this gives you more options. To start, I bought the most basic flash one can buy.

My current setup:

• Olympus OM-D EM1 ii
  • Olympus Zuiko Pro 45mm 1.2
  • Godox X1T-O trigger
  • Godox V860ii-O
  • Godox S-Type Bracket Bowens S Mount
  • Godox 80cm Octagon Umbrella Softbox for Speedlite
  • 1.5m x 1m 5-in-1 reflector

So far, I had loads of fun and did a lot of work around portraits. I am now at the stage where I want to expand things and create 3-light setup so I can use it for more advanced portraits and product photography. Since I already have a a second Octagon Umbrella box and a stand, I am going to buy a second V860ii. They are so cheap and easy to use. That is light No 2 sorted.

I am now looking for a better Keylight. I am on a low budget (~£350) though.

My selection criteria: ~400 Watt, don't necessarily need a mobile solution, weight not that important, don't need TTL, HSS would be nice, really want a modelling lamp as I think this is very useful for product shots, needs to be compatible with my X1T trigger, output control ideally down to 1/128 as I don't want to use ND filters.

I really like the AD200 but the lack of modelling lamp is a bit a killer for me. I then realised quickly that I won't get what I want for £350. During my search, I stumbled over a new QT-400 v1 (from China though, must be old stock) for £220 which ticks most boxes except the X1T integration. That could be resolved with an XTR-16 2.4Ghz receiver for £15 as far as I understand.

Question. As I have no experience with studio strobes at all, is this a good idea or shall I bite the bullet and find the money for a QT400 II / Pixapro STORM II 400?

Or any other creative ideas?

Thanks for your feedback.

Phil

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow