Good alternative grip for ROS RP

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
StefanD Regular Member • Posts: 452
Re: Good alternative grip for EOS RP: JJC HG-RP

robgendreau wrote:

I got the JJC bracket grip for the RP and so far I've loved it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0836QMSRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits well, and has fine fit and finish. Some of the cool features:

• It's an Arca compatible plate. So it just slides on the Arca clamp on the tripod or monopod.
  • The battery access door opens.
  • Has a second ¼-20 hole in the base (I use that to attach my shoulder sling)
  • Has a carabiner ring attachment that flips up for use. Only fits smaller biners though.
  • Has slots to thread in webbing for a hand sling, etc (2cm).

The tripod attachment arca slots and the ¼ hole are especially a big deal for me. The Canon plate requires one to attach via the thumb screw I think, which wouldn't be good.

The con of the JJC, if there it is one, is that where your pinky goes there's a bit less to press against, so if it's just a better handle this might not be as good. But for $36US....

Basically it's a bit of an RRS knockoff without a few bells and whistles, which one might not need.

I've gotten a few bits of JJC gear recently, including their EF to RF lens adapter. Both work as advertised and fit really well. No play. Sturdy materials. I'd recommend them.

I second this. I also use the JJC bracket. I prefer it to the Canon one because of the Arca compatible plate. I haven't tried the Canon one, but I suppose it does offer a little more grip than the JCC.

I use the flippable ring to attach my OpTech neck strap using a carabiner. The ring is locked in both the flipped-out and not-in-use position, which I really like because it doesn't interfere with tripod use.

I did try the hand strap attachment, but didn't like it too much because the height between the two attachments is quite a bit smaller than the width of my hand.

JJC advertises the possibility to attach a cold-shoe to the side, but that's a no-go: I tried my flashes and a generic cold-shoe attachment, but all of them didn't stay fixed: the attachment on the grip is simply too wide.

If you're looking for a little more grip, Arca compatibility and robust strap-attachment, I can only recommend the JJC.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow