Still not happy with the D850 AF

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
mais51
mais51 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,434
Re: Still not happy with the D850 AF

Lance B wrote:

Nils wrote:

https://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/998-nikkorafs10514ff?start=1

It can be clearly seen the point of focus wide open is (100) ....... even given the increasing DOF when stopping down focus cannot hold the "100" in focus .........

........ quite a slip up from Nikon.

Great link. Appreciate it. Thanks!

You are spot on with your POV btw!

I have the 105 f1.4E and have used it on both my D850 and also my Z7. I have not had any focus shift issues on the D850 (or the Z7 obviously as focus shift is a non issue on that camera), so the foicus shift "issue" that Optical Limits suffered was possibly an out of spec sample. LensRentals, Lenstip, Ephotozine, Camera Labs and Photography Life do not mention any real issue with focus shift in their reviews and they are all very thorough. Some say it was minor to the point of it being a non issue considering the extra DOF afforded when stopped down.

As for the focus issues you have had with your 3 copies of the D850. I must say, I have not had the problems with my D850 that you seem to be facing with yours. I also have a few of the lenses you have, the 105 f1.4E and the 400 f2.8E FL VR. Neither require AF adjustment whatsover and neither suffer focus shift. My D850 has been accurate and the AF has been exemplary. I am at a loss to know what your issue is especially on 3 different bodies!

Simple - operator error

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow