Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP DTA Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

lokatz wrote:

Not an easy question, and you're likely to get plenty of different opinions. Having owned a D7100 and a D7500, and having spent extensive time comparing Nikon's various bodies, here is mine:

- Yes, the D7100 is worth spending 100£ more. The higher resolution and better low-light performance will give you better pics with the kind of subjects you are shooting.

- The D7200 and D7500 each perform slightly better than the D7100. Personally, I believe neither would give you enough of an advantage to be worth spending more. Higher fps seems a don't care with your main subjects - hat matters more when shooting rapidly moving wildlife- and none of the other improvements these bodies offer would make much of a difference to you as far as I can see.

- The price gap between the D7200 vs the D7100 is WAY too big. These bodies differ only in fairly insignificant ways. The D7500 and D7200 perform about the same in low light, which in both cases means 'marginally better than the D7100', but the main advantages of the D7500 lie in AF speed and fps, neither of which look all that important to your style shoot.

- It seems to me the bigger question is not so much which body to get but which lenses to put on it. With your subjects, a better body makes less of a difference than a better lens will.
The 35mm prime is a good lens but somewhat limiting what you can shoot with it. My recommendation is to start with a Sigma 17-50, which you can even get new at reasonable prices. It is wide enough for architecture, has an f/2.8 aperture that makes it fast enough for low-light street shooting, and while being fairly plasticky, its optical performance is better than that of anything Nikon offers in that focal range.

- The next lens I would add is Nikon's AF-P 70-300 DX VR. It is an excellent lens, especially considering its price, way better than the older AF-S 70-300 versions.

Thanks lokatz,

You're quite correct about the varying opinions!

Only think I have decided is that it won’t be a D7000. I’m still keeping an eye on used bodies for the others but the prices seem quite high at the moment. The prices I put in my OP seem to be the best prices, so it may end up being more.

I will take a look at the sigma. I did like the 70-300VR II and really enjoyed it. Got some shots I was happy with at Santa Pod (drag racing)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
DTA
DTA
DTA
DTA
Bob
DTA
DTA
DTA
DTA
DTA
DTA
DTA
DTA
DTA
DTA
DTA
DTA
DTA
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow