Those of you who upgraded to the R4..

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
poipoipoi_2016 Contributing Member • Posts: 840
Re: Those of you who upgraded to the R4..

crashwins wrote:

Are you happy with it over the R3? I handled my friend's R4 the other day, and I was very pleased with the ergonomics and button layout/feedback: it felt like Sony finally got it right (I'd need a bottomplate, though). The back-button AF has that extra feedback...It'a nice.

That said, it's a lot of cash to upgrade from the R3 when I don't really need the MPs. I wonder about the color, whether it's better or more refined, though I find the color good on the R3 too. What do you think?

So as someone who rented an R4 and owns an R3, the R3 is the best mountain camera Sony makes right now.

And what I mean by that is that everything that's bad about the R3 (Terrible menus, slightly worse AF, that UHS-1 slot dropping you to about 1 FPS once the buffer fills, those subtle life-improving ergonomic factors...) runs right into "Mountains don't move" and stops mattering.

And then suddenly the R4 problems emerge and they're still mattering.  Higher noise even at ISO 100 (which sort of defeats the cropping), giant files that make an i7 with 32 GB of RAM squeal...

Sure, the ergonomic improvements are great... and there's a reason I skipped it.

OTOH, if you take pictures of things other than mountains, well, that's a different story.

poipoipoi_2016's gear list:poipoipoi_2016's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow