Scaning larger artwork on smaller format scanner

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hhhhhhhh Regular Member • Posts: 177
Scaning larger artwork on smaller format scanner

Not sure if this is the best forum for this topic - moderators, please feel free to move if it suits somewhere else better.

Majority of my artworks are 11x14 and some are 16x20. My scanner V850 is 8.5x11 and I manage to capture 11x14 on both sides and then stitch them together in Photoshop using File > Automation > Photomerge. It usually do a fantastic job, and you can’t say it’s two separate images.

However, when look closely and carefully, I can see that around 1-1.5inches at the one edge is not fully sharp. Can’t say it’s blurry, but not tack sharp, because the paper is raised on the edge of the scanner due to larger size than the actual scanner. So when I close the lid of the scanner, it pushes the paper onto the glass, except the edge where the paper stick out of the scanner. I even put some additional layers between the artwork and the lid, but it still have that curve where the paper is raised and not fully pushed onto glass. Of course, I have to be careful with this not to leave a marks on the artwork from the edge of the scanner, so I cannot push it too much and because of that, it always leaves that inch or two of not perfectly sharp image.

Any suggestions how to solve this? I was considering bringing it to the local photo shop who does the professional scaning, but I have over 150 artworks, and that would cost me thousands of dollars for the same resolution I can do at home, just using the larger format scanner. For the same money I can buy larger format scanner, but first wanted to make sure if I can do anything with what I already have.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow